Acadia National Park: Home of the Attainable Adventure
Living in Portland, Maine - about a three hour drive away, I get up to Acadia National Park three or four times a year. I love it in all four seasons. Ask anyone – I love attainable adventures, otherwise known as activities that take a minimal amount of prior training or travel, but offer a large reward.
Acadia is full of adventures for everyone. Once you cross the bridge onto Mount Desert Island (MDI) it feels a bit like you are arriving at an amusement park for outdoor enthusiasts - adventures around every corner! I’ve compiled a few of my favorite things from my last dozen visits to MDI and I hope you get a chance to check them out!
1. Dogs are allowed!! This isn’t favorite per-say but Acadia is super dog friendly! There are a few spots where your furry four-legged friends aren’t permitted but for the most part the park is accessible for pups on leash!
2. Favorite Place to watch the sun rise: The Causeway in Southwest Harbor
3. Favorite Place to watch the sun set: Bass Harbor Headlight
4. Favorite day Hike: The triple crown we call it consisting of three peaks, Sargent, Gilmore and Parkman.
5. Favorite Swimming Hole: The ledges on Long Pond. It’s about a mile hike in but so worth it! Feeling less adventurous – Ikes point is a great way to swim in Echo Lake without the crowds at the beach.
6. Favorite Brunch Spot with a View: Jordan Pond House – Grab a popover and enjoy the view of the Bubbles across the pond
7. Favorite Adventure Drive: Take the park loop road all the way around. You’ll pass by lots of popular spots like Thunder Hole, Otter Cliff and under some of the famous carriage road bridges.
8. Favorite View: The top of Acadia Mountain boasts a great view of Sommes Sound and the smaller islands south of MDI.
9. Best way to get to the top of Cadillac Mountain: On xc skis in the winter and a bike in the summer.
10. Coolest Bit of Coastline: Thunderhole and Otter Cliffs on the eastern shore of MDI
Feel like I missed something! Let us know what we should check out next time by reaching out on Instagram @gpowersfilm!